Monday, June 29, 2009

"I Used To Be A Legend"

"I used to be a legend,
a good o' legend too,
but now I'm finished legending,
I don't know what to do,
I'm growing old and feeble,
and I can legend no more,
so I will work my growth agreement if I can"

These are the words of the timberline song that we sing at the end of every mourning troop assembly at Gilwell. On Saturday, when we were singing this song for the last time, me and Eric looked at each other and both of could tell we were thinking of the exact same thing:

First thing was, I used to be a legend. I used to be so involved in the scouting program that everyone in section used to know who I was, everybody looked up to me, and came to me to make the decisions that need to be made. And now I give it until the end of the year and no one will even know who I am anymore. As much as I appreciate being able to go to an event and just party it up, not worrying about what needs to happen or putting on a good face, I sure will miss being in the spot light.

Then the next thing that both of us were thinking, "But now i am finished legending, I don't know what to do." What are we supposed to do? My life as a young man was made up of two things, High school and scouting,and now I am done with both. Life should be interesting the next few month.

And finally,"I'm growing old and feeble, and I can legend no more, so I'll work my growth agreement if I can." At least to me this is the coolest line of the entire song. I am growing old, and unfortunately scouting has rules about how old you can be, and I have reached that ripe old age, and can legend no more. So I will work my growth agreement if I can. That growth agreement simply means, I will become a legend in other ways. First one I am going to be come a legend up at BYU-I I'm not sure how yet, but I will be come a legend. Then I will become a legend out on my mission, I want to be the missionary, that every one looks to and wants to be like. Then I want to be a legend of a husband and father. I want my kids and wife to think that I am super-human and that I really am a legend.

So as much as I have enjoyed being a "Legend" in scouting, I look forward to being a Legend in other ways as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment